Support ServicesI. D. Cards
State Benefits Home
Info and Weblinks
VeteransArizona MWR

Family ReadinessAZ Guard Home



(Frequently asked questions about the
Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System)

What is DEERS?

Who is Affected by DEERS?

What’s in it for Me?

What do I have to do?

How do I change my address?

What Is DEERS?

DEERS is the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System. It is a computerized information service linked by an extensive voice and data communications network to Uniformed Services installations. DEERS is used to verify and confirm the eligibility for those individuals receiving Uniformed Service benefits.

Who Is Affected By DEERS?

Everyone in the Uniformed Services-Army, Air Force, Navy, Marine Corps, Coast Guard, the Commissioned Corps of the Public Health Service, and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. DEERS is used to verify and confirm eligibility for those on active duty, retired, family members, surviving family members, Guard/Reserve personnel who are activated for a period in excess of 30 days, and other special categories of people who qualify for benefits.

What's In It For Me?

DEERS helps the Department of Defense get the most out of the dollars Congress provides for your benefits. That is because DEERS is used to forecast and allocate resources for building and staffing your hospitals, schools, and commissaries, while also providing the means by which individuals are granted access to these facilities. DEERS also screens ineligibles, assuring that resources are available for people like you, who have earned their benefits.

What Do I Have To Do?

If you are:

  • An active duty service member or the family member of an active duty service member. The Uniformed Service automatically enrolls all persons on active duty. All eligible family members of active duty personnel, including children under age 10, must be enrolled in DEERS by their military sponsor through their Uniformed Service personnel office.
  • A member of the National Guard or Reserve on active duty under orders that specify a period of more than 30 days. The sponsor must complete a DD Form 1172 Application For Uniformed Services Identification Card DEERS Enrollment for eligible family members through a service center for processing.
  • A member of the National Guard or Reserve not on orders that specify a period of active duty for more than 30 days. The sponsor must pre-enroll all eligible family members in DEERS so that in the event of a general mobilization, family members eligibility can be confirmed immediately. In the 90-day period preceding a sponsor's 60 birthday, which marks his or her entitlement to retirement pay and other DoD benefits, the sponsor is automatically enrolled by his/her Service. The sponsor must then enroll all eligible family members.
  • A retired service member entitled to retirement pay or the family member of someone who is, the Uniformed Service enrolls the sponsor automatically in DEERS. The sponsor must enroll all eligible family members, regardless of age. Retired sponsors can enroll their eligible family members at any Uniformed Service personnel office.
  • A surviving spouse or eligible surviving family members have the responsibility to enroll themselves in DEERS at any Uniformed Service personnel office.

Un-remarried former spouses have the responsibility to enroll themselves. Initial DEERS enrollment must be accomplished by the sponsor's parent Uniformed Service.

How do I change my address?

Change Your DEERS Address Easily at 
Note:  Don’t forget the “s” in the hhtp or you will not be able to get on the site.

Or you can e-mail address changes (including address changes for geographically separated family members) to the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS) data base. The e-mail address for DEERS is:

DEERS recommends that you use all lower-case letters when typing the e-mail address.
Your e-mail should include the following: 

  1.  Sponsor's name and Social Security Number; 
  2.  The address change you want to make
  3.  Names of other family members affected by the address change
  4.  Effective date of the address information
  5.  Your telephone number and area code (if available). 

Other information, such as the addresses for geographically separated family members mentioned earlier, will be processed if you provide it.

The DEERS mail box has been available for use since Jan. 12, 2000.

The e-mail address is an alternative for updating your mailing address information.

If you don't have internet e-mail, here are other ways to update your records in DEERS:
· Initiating a request through your nearest military personnel office;
· Calling the DEERS Support Office at one of its toll-free numbers:

                1-800-334-4162 (California only)

                1-800-527-5602 (Alaska and Hawaii)

                1-800-538-9552 (all other states)

The best time to call the DEERS Support Office is 9 a.m.-3 p.m., Pacific Time, Wednesday, Thursday or Friday, to avoid delays;
· Faxing address changes to (408) 655-8317;
· Mailing the address-change information to the DEERS Support Office, ATTN: COA, 400 Gigling Road, Seaside, CA 93955-6771.

Return to Soldier Support home page